You can’t put it in a piggy bank, but that’s ok. I love Daylight Savings. Can we be clear about that up front? Sure, it makes life complicated on any creature who doesn’t understand the concept of time or why we change our clocks twice a year… And it’s a little strange that we change our clocks because of how things were back when railroads were the rulers of the empire that was the US, rather than today’s more global economy… But for all the challenges that come up (lost hour of sleep, leaving for work in the dark again), I still think it can’t be beat.
Why? Cause we have a whole extra hour of daylight after work, people! Think of what you can DO with that! I’ll give you my favorites:
- Go for a walk in the sunshine
- …or cover more ground on a bike ride! (Don’t have a bike? Getya one!
- Count the crocuses and daffodils sprouting up in your garden…
- …or count all the people showing up in a park.
- Make friends with Alleycat Acres, and take home some fresh produce.
- Better yet, grab a friend and help a pea patch grow food for area food banks
- Maybe head out on the water…
- …or head up in the sky to catch that sunset over Elliott Bay.
Let’s shake off these last vestiges of winter, and get ready for springtime!
What’s your favorite thing to do with the extra hour of daylight after work? Please share in the comments!
Sasha may be the shyest social person you’ll ever meet. She joined Verity in 2009, with a couple years in the Credit Union Movement already tucked under her belt (amidst coffee-making and bagel-slinging, running a non-profit, and trying her hand at farming).
An eternal optimist (except, you know, when she’s not), she enjoys exploring her surroundings and having adventures with friends; yoga, running, reading, writing, and good food. Though not a remarkable cook, she is nonetheless a sincere one and admits she’d be better if there were three more hours in every day. When not doing one of the many activities mentioned in the previous two sentences, she counts herself lucky to be peacefully at home, cuddling with her partner and their cat.